Some versions of the Bible have the words of Jesus in red, some do not, and among the red letter versions there are some differences of what is in red. There is difference in philosophy about this from publisher to publisher. (Of course there were no red words in the original manuscripts so there is no absolute right or wrong way to use red lettering.)
You can turn on/off the display or red lettering in the app.
Below is a list of all the red letter Bibles that are available to you with YouVersion:
- CSB (Chinese Standard Bible)
- ESV (English Standard Version)
- KJV (King James Version)
- MTDS (Mushuj Testamento Diospaj Shimi)
- NASB (New American Standard Bible)
- NCV (New Century Version)
- NIV (New International Version)
- NKJV (New King James Version)
- NTV (Nueva Traducción Viviente)
- VDCC (Versiunea Dumitru Cornilescu Corectată)
- WEB (World English Bible)
If you do not see the red letters in one of these versions, check your” red letter” setting as follows:
- Tap the dashboard icon in the top left corner, scroll down to SETTINGS, and tap on it
- Near the middle of the list of options is “Red Letters”
- Make sure the slide switch is in the ON position to see red letters in the Bibles above.
Of course, if you are reading any other version, there will be no red lettering regardless of whether you have the switch turned on or off.
This post is also available in: Português